Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Such A Pretty Drive!

Since the moving company isn't moving us until we've purchased a place in Philadelphia, I'm usually delivering stuff to my spouse (clothes, and items for the apartment like dishes) when I go to see him. This next trip will be seasonal items (also known as coats, sweaters, long-sleeve shirts, and flannel sheets) and some additional furniture. Since I'm delivering stuff, I drive rather than fly.

I've enjoyed the drives from Atlanta to Philadelphia. There is no way to avoid the Appalachian Mountains, and I wouldn't want to if I could. They are so pretty, all heavily forested and breathtakingly beautiful.

This last trip I avoided Virginia, which has lowered their speed limit. Long stretches of interstate now are limited to only 60 MPH. The state also raised their speeding tickets to a maximum fine of $1000. The new speed limits and increased fines sounded like a way to raise funds from travelers. Therefore, I'm avoiding the state until they become friendlier.

So instead of Virginia, I drove through West Virginia. Such a pretty state! It was the first time that I'd ever traveled through it. As an added bonus, the gasoline per gallon cost less than in Virginia (must be lower state gas taxes). I must enjoy the trips now, because I'm sure they won't be so pretty in the winter time, when the trees drop their leaves.

No comments: