Thursday, October 4, 2007

Internet Fakes

One of the problems created by the internet is the use of fake identities so that people can misrepresent themselves. I'm mystified by misrepresentations. Are they so dissatisfied with their life that they must lie about it? I'd like to be younger, but calling myself 25 won't make me twenty-five.

I also believe that truth always prevails, although there are times when it can be slow to do so. What are the people who misrepresent themselves going to do when the truth emerges?

There was an interesting story early this year about a man who invented a fake identity and fell in love over the internet with a woman who invented a fake identity. The man murdered a rival who was competing for the fake internet woman. (You can't make up stories like this!) In this case, the truth ruined several lives.

One of my MySpace friends sent a bulletin last week about an impostor. The impostor had posted about a dozen photos that belonged to my MySpace friend. What kind of fantasy do you have when you do that?

(Disclosure: Since I was an identity theft victim, I never provide internet sites with my real birth date. I choose a random date, and I do usually key in one that knocks off several years. But its not done with the intent of deceiving; it's done to avoid a hacker stealing that information and impersonating me.)

No comments: