Sunday, January 13, 2008

Animal Shelters

My better half has really felt the loss of our pet. He's already been researching animal shelters.

The last time I visited a shelter was in my hometown when I tried to get my dad to adopt a pet to keep him company. I always feel so sorry for the caged animals and want to adopt all them all, both cats and dogs. Of course, that's not possible.

In looking for Philadelphia area animal shelters, my partner found one with pictures and descriptions of the animals available for adoption. One was an eleven-year old cat. Can you imagine what that cat must have felt when it was uprooted from her people and her home and placed in a cage, especially at an age that for cats is old?

The other thing that struck me were the names of the animals. Bo-Bo, CoCo, Dee-Dee, Fifi. Who names them? Must the names be a baby sound that is duplicated to two syllables? Abby was the only non-gibberish name I found.

2 comments:

Faye said...

So, is there a lucky older cat in Philly who's going to get a loving new home? That's such a good thing to do.

I try to do a bit of rescue work but can only transport animals from shelters to rescue or foster homes because Willie the pit bull insists on being an only dog.

Gay, Married, with Cat said...

Yes, we'll adopt an older cat because they deserve a home, are more difficult for the shelter to place, and are just as loving.

But the adoption has to wait until we're settled in our permanent home in Philly.