Thursday, August 23, 2007

Atlanta History Center

I visited the Atlanta History Center museum yesterday. They have greatly expanded their exhibits from my last visit of some years ago.

One of their best permanent exhibits is on the Civil War. They recreate a portion of the trenches that dominated the fight for Atlanta (and most of the other battles, such as the siege of Petersburg), and explain how the trenches were constructed. You can even step into the trench. Weapons, uniforms, and other soldiers' belongings such as mess kits, shaving kits, and playing cards (all the essentials) were on display, along with time lines, maps, and videos. It is quite well done.

I was also impressed at the maps of Sherman's March through Georgia. My mother is from a farm in rural Georgia between Columbus and Macon, and family history has it that Sherman marched through the family farm. Until recently, I could find no evidence of this, as most maps do not place either of Sherman's two columns of marchers that far west. Recently, the book Confederate Industry (by Harold S. Wilson) explained that discrepancy by noting that Union cavalry under General James H. Wilson raided from Columbus to Macon as a diversion to support Sherman's March. Of course, Wilson's cavalry destroyed factories and homes in their path. The History Center's map showed this movement. I was impressed!

I also enjoyed the exhibits for Benjamin Franklin and southern folk-art. My favorite folk-art jug showed two faces and was named for politicians. LOL.

I left the museum after three hours but could easily have spent the entire day there. Unfortunately, my stomach told me it was way past lunch-time, and I do listen to my stomach! (There are other exhibits too, such as on the 1996 Olympics held in Atlanta, and on Atlanta native and golfing great Bobby Jones.)

Their tours of Swan House and the plantation home are also informative, interesting, and enjoyable. And no, I receive no money from my ringing endorsement of the Atlanta History Center.

No comments: